Monday, November 26, 2007

i heard that

There are certain behaviors one should avoid in the auditioning room. Some, perhaps, are unavoidable. At my most recent audition one of the other women auditioning, farted. An audible fart. The auditor heard it. We all heard it. She was not embarrassed. She said a simple 'excuse me' and went on looking over her sides. I chalked it up to a natural occurrence. It is natural after all. These things do happen. But I thought how much I would hate being the auditor in that moment. Maybe it is because I have a tendency toward a 5 year old's humour. Maybe because fart jokes are a staple in my conversations with my smallers. But maybe it is because it is hard to forget any behavior in the auditioning room, that is not positive. It is hard to let go of a moment that does not reflect well on a person. Not that flatulence reflects poorly, but I dare say it is not stellar. It is easy to let it color the rest of the audition.

I hope she did really well and helped them forget.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a crazy movement teacher in drama school who, whenever anyone accidentally farted in class, would take the person's hands, say "Good! Good!" and inhale deeply.

Maybe auditors could begin doing this. It might not make us feel at ease, but it would at least allow us to feel like we weren't the one bringing in the crazy that day...

Freeman said...

I love the idea of praise for flatulence. I went to school with Linklater teachers, who viewed every single fart of proof that we were becoming more in tune with our emotions.

Perhaps they had a point.

SAS said...

Hmmm. I will have to think about this one for a while.

hpmelon said...

the deep inhale bit just cracked me up...

The Trendy Tailor said...

as if you were compensating for the air lost...