What happened to Mike Daisy is astounding. The idea that these people would hijack his show, and ruin his original hand written script is just heartbreaking. Art is our salvation, and I am at a loss as to this breach in the very convention of theatre. From its earliest incarnation there has been a shared understanding. The storyteller and the listeners. Walking away is common enough, but attacking the storyteller signals a disconnect in emotions that we are seeing everywhere at the moment. It's like a trickle down in government, religion, and culture...this ability to forgo the basic rules of life.
I am overwhelmed this week by the shootings, the ever climbing death toll in Iraq, the Gonzales idiocy, and the Supreme Court decision on abortion. The theatre has always been a haven for me. It feels like someone attacked my church.
Daisy's ability to continue on is exceptional. He states that he did not deserve the standing ovation that he received at the end of the night, but I believe he did. To continue on in the face of this hate crime, to bring the audience back to you after something like that is the feat of a master storyteller. I say Bravo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
They can't take that away from us too. They can't. They just can't.
While what happened there is unacceptable and certainly not condonable, it's interesting that you say you feel like someone attacked your church. Theater grew out of religion did it not?I'd wager that is how many "religious" or Christian people feel on a daily basis. Certainly I doubt that there are many occaisions where someone goes up to a priest or minister during a service and pours water on the bible, but these people feel like what they hold sacred is attacked on a daily basis, right or wrong.
I thank you 'a' for making my point, again.
Post a Comment