Have I mentioned that Small saved up his money since his last birthday and through the summer to buy an electric guitar? Well if I have not mentioned it, he did. I am a horrible guitar player, mr. hpmelon is a decent one (except for his refusal to play B chords - not sure what that is about), so I was unsure how Small would fair with his new instrument. I taught him his first two chords, mr. hpmelon taught him two more, then I gave him my old chord book, and it was like fucking lightning. He just figured the thing out.
Small is downstairs jamming with his dad and Smaller (harmonica) right now and I watched him for the last 15 minutes with a huge grin on my face. Maybe its how well he plays in such a short time, maybe its how, without even realizing it, he stands with a relaxed, cooler than the rest of the world, its about the music, stance. Maybe it's how he has not let me cut his hair for months so it's shaggy and grunge and ultra hip. Maybe its the Led Zeppelin t-shirt, or the way he holds his guitar and hangs his head down a little when he has a hard chord progression. Maybe its that when he sings his voice becomes a little deeper, but still is totally boy. Whatever it is, I can't stop smiling when I watch him like this. Pride? I think its pride. Pride that aches because he is moving forward so quickly.
I can forgive him anything when I see him like this. How great that smalls have moments in life that make us forgive all the other shit that they pull.
Have a happy holiday folks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment