Thursday, September 07, 2006

a little long way

I was hunting for a parking space this past weekend and saw a couple going to their car, so I stalked them. When they got to the car the man opened the car door for the woman, and then held her hand as she sat down, then he closed the door for her. At this moment I would like to quash all feminist rhetoric that labels this action as antiquated and condescending. Namely because in our current day, all actions of mutual respect in relationships of any kind seem to taking a nose dive. There was a time that a man bowed to a woman and she curtsied in return. That when a person did not know everyone in a group, they were introduced, and it was done so in a manner that somehow made it possible to remember the names of those who were introduced. It was considered rude to not remember someone you had been introduced to and when you saw someone you knew, you always acknowledged them.

I am not asking for us to bring back the days of inequality (not that true gender equality has really been reached), but there are some things that we could benefit from. So here are some things that have been lost that need to be found...

Manners.

Courtesy.

The word groovy.

The art of conversation.

Visiting.

Formal introductions.

Hair styles from the 40's.


I am sure I missed some things. Feel free to add to the list.

1 comment:

SAS said...

You know what I would add. Though it doesn't quite fit this list. Since when did "follow-up flowers" (or at least a phone call? an EMAIL?) fall out of style?

And yet we tolerate it. I tolerate it. Hoorah for the sexual revolution. We're so much happier now.