Tuesday, September 19, 2006

alternative regret

Words like regrettable should not be allowed from public officials when someone is mistakenly tortured. Maybe even more so when a person is intentionally. Regrettable is another one of the benign, safe words the officials from our country, and many others, use to seemingly pacify the media. It does not pacify me. It enrages me to hear regrettable used about things like war, torture, flooding of cities, and loss of human life. Regrettable is a word you use when someone puts mayo instead of mustard on your favorite sandwich. It is not a word used when you abduct a citizen, from another country, secret them away to a dungeon and torture them - mistakenly. Then you force him to admit to things he has no knowledge of and/or does not believe in. Do you know who does that? Terrorists. Ones who evoke terror. To hear words like regrettable and alternative method sets me on edge.

I tend to talk a lot about responsibility. I suppose I grew up with a sense that the actions of our country are my actions. If we as a nation really hold that dear then we have to demand a greater level of transparency from our government.

Now , please allow me a diatribe. If you can take no more stop reading. You have been warned.

We must ensure that we vote out or run out of office all those who align themselves with President Bush. We as a nation cannot allow anyone with his degenerate moral compass to guide us. We also have to take ownership of his crimes, and they are many. From Iraq to New Orleans, to Guantanamo and as far back as the 2000 election we have allowed his corruption to escalate. We have allowed our media to be placated by safe words. We have to blame our own country and ourselves. I will take my responsibility. I have not done enough. I have always despised Bush's regime, but it is time to be bigger than my anger. It is time to ask for accountability from all elected and appointed officials. I am sick of hearing words like regrettable. Any admission of a huge mistake, should not be followed by an explanation or excuse, but by a proposed solution on how to fix the horrendous problem. I also take responsibility for thinking myself too fanatical. Thinking I should not speak up with full conviction because I did not want to be seen as a crazy liberal. We have a government who's radical fanaticism is rampant and who uses numbing words to assuage us all. The extremist views of the Bush administration are fanatical to the point of a holy war. Mine are nothing compared to this. I am the opposing view and if I do not voice it well, and loudly, then it means nothing at all.

No comments: