Monday, July 31, 2006

electrolytes

It is hot. Duh.

Here is my money making idea for Fringe...or any theatre that has shows that perform in a space that becomes a trifle warm in the summer (cough...Rorschach). They cost $.33 a piece to make, you could charge a dollar each. Put your season on it, your website, whatever. It keeps you cool and serves as a marketing tool. Folks would be happy to by them.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


I walked through the muggy heat to H Street Theatre yesterday and sat in the hot, hot heat watching the beautiful Shadows, a dream within a dream. The puppeteers never broke a sweat, but not for lack of commitment. I think they were simply not bothered by the swelter at all.

Luna Moreno embraces their style of puppetry with deliberate and studied movement. Their piece is chock full of lovely moments, simple and powerful technical elements and fluid performance. I loved how they had the puppets recognize their puppet masters. The look shared between the puppet and its puppeteer was eerie and powerful. It gave more life to the puppet and established a relationship between the two that seemed as if they were of one mind. Which of course they are, but that convention allowed an escape - to believe the puppet a sentient being who understood that the world was beyond their control.

It is how I feel all the time.

1 comment:

SAS said...

I love that you produced a little illustration. Now I believe in it even more.