Thursday, January 26, 2006

sweaty people in the rain were ok

My last half-thought will have to wait.

I just want to say this. I intensely dislike being the audience member who is called on, or having to participate in theatre that I have not been cast in. Call me lazy, but when I go to the theatre, for the most part, I just want to watch. I want to be one of the many who is absorbing. Just because I am an actor, does not mean I am needing the spotlight at all times. Quite the contrary. I enjoy being entertained.

Some exceptions-

De La Guarda
Blue Man


With those, my participation was not singular or sought simply because I know how to be on stage, it flowed into the performance seamlessly along with the other audience members.

2 comments:

SAS said...

My brother hated De La Guardia. He was terrifed the whole time that they might touch him, or single him out, or make him the center of attention. When we were children he would hide behind my father at plays and magic shows for fear of being called up.

He's an actor too.

People are funny.

hpmelon said...

I know the feeling, but with those shows I guess I felt safe beacause everyone in the audience was part of the performance.

Magic shows-I forgot about those, they are terrifying - I do not want to be the 'assistant'.

I have got to meet your brother.