Sunday, January 22, 2006

it's all your fault march 2nd

I had to give up a part in a show today. It hurts worse than pouring lemon on a paper cut. It is a great part, with a company I really want to work with. I thought I could swing the schedule, but in the end I had to admit defeat. I hate pulling out, it comes with the fear that I won't get the opportunity again. I hate letting them down, and I hate letting me down.

I tend to think that when it comes to actors we run the risk of losing the attention of directors and casting agents very quickly. Especially if your stats place you in a saturated demographic. The thought 'out of sight, out of mind' seems apt. When you are on stage you are marketable. Being on stage says 'this person can close the deal'. Not being on stage equals exactly that = nada. You can be as talented as you want, but being talented in absentia will get you very little.

Absent. Shit. Now I have all this down time before the next show. So the bright side of it all is that now I can go see The New Pornographers in concert.

Damn you schedule conflicts, damn you.