Monday, January 02, 2006

goodbye laura

Teaching. I am not quite sure why this has been on mind so much recently. I feel guilty about it though. I have no desire to do the job myself, but I am, nonetheless, constantly thinking about those that are doing it. Then today one of our arts educators passed away. She was an extremely strong personality. Life force pounded out of her. Many times she rubbed people wrong because she was so forceful in her ways. As with most big personalities, she was also fun... and loud. But she was also a talented teacher. She brought music into the lives of countless children and young adults. She was ceaseless in her endeavors. I hope they sing her opus, I hope they sang it for her before she left.

I taught for a while, and, after a time, saw it was not for me. You people astound me. How do you have such patience, such daily sacrifice, and so little reward? Do you remember your connection to art everyday, or is it lost in a haze of paperwork, discipline and schedules? How do you remind yourself of where this path is going? You start these students there. Do you forget what sights are farther down the line? Do you, like me, want to break free of the confines? Do you want to stop holding the back of the bike seat and race on ahead? Or do you find their discoveries and excitement thrilling? Do you marvel at their accomplishments? I am sure you have all those moments, but bless you for staying with them; thank you for taking those young ones through the baby steps over and over again.

...and to Laura...may you have a sweet, sweet good night.

No comments: