Saturday, September 03, 2005
invisible line
Years ago when I was in college I went to see the parent of a friend in a community production of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It was beyond painful and I was gripped with the familiar impulse to stand up and shout. "You are all really bad!" or "You guys are trying to act!" Something, anything to break the impenetrable monotony of such wretched theatre. I find myself gripped with this same impulse even when I am not at a bad production. I have even had to hold onto my seat to keep myself from bounding up and yelling "Ha, ha I know you are all trying to be in the moment but I know you are just my buddy from the last show I did and I have seen you do this exact moment before. You are cheating, dammit!" But then, I cheat. Actors may not think they have a bag of tricks, but we do, Oh yes we do. The best experiences for me are the ones when all the stars (writing, direction, technical, acting ) all align. Then I am swept away, but that is the exception, not the rule of my play going experience. More times than not the seams show. Yet, I still see promise in most work, or bright moments, or brilliant ones for that matter. I am headed to see Passion Play tonight. I am expecting great things, namely because I love Ruhl's work... And I will stay in my seat.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment