Wednesday, August 23, 2006

jolly roger would know

In my life I have to interact with an inordinate amount of people who want to customize their kitchens and buy large diamonds. I have nothing against either of these endeavors, just as I have nothing against scrapbooking. I just don't enjoy discussing them. In those moments where these types of conversations go on for more than 10 minutes I try to leave, but if trapped, I try to glaze over. If that does not work and the other individuals involved insist on my input, then I try to say something so heinous that I am immediately thought of as an imbecile and not required to stay.

I could say something like...

I don't wear any jewelry that costs more than $20.

I don't care about the difference between a table bought at Target and one bought at Danker. If I can eat off of it, then it works.

Scrapbooking and football are the same thing to me. I am not aware when either one is going on.


Blackbeard used to put smoking gun powder under his hat to make himself look like something from hell and he spread a rumor that he was in league with the devil. His foes feared him so much that they would, many times, surrender before any shot had been fired.

H.L. Mencken said that... "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

I am sorely tempted. I do feel that maybe piracy is an option that I have not explored, but I think I would use the smoke and mirrors tactics of Blackbeard, so I would not have to actually slit anyone's throat.

2 comments:

Washington Cube said...

I have a friend obsessed with reality tv shows. I have told her repeatedly that I don't watch them (Well..I do watch Project Runaway,) but despite this knowledge, she will then proceed to give me a blow by blow account of whatever happened on the particular show in question. Talk about eyes glazing over....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Adam Szymkowicz said...

arrg