Can someone please help me understand myself. Why am I fascinated by characters like Ignatius from Confederacy of Dunces? I just read about a man who could be his Russian cousin. Absurdistand follows Misha through his stumbling life while trying to gain access back into America. He is a fat, squishy, oily individual. He made me think so much of Ignatius. So what is it about these soft, lard like, greasy characters that I find compelling? Is it their inability to change? Their complete contentment with their fat, lazy selves? I am repulsed by their chins dripping in butter and their constant gas, their pathetic hygiene.
I try to find more meaning. It cannot just be me watching a train wreck.
I think they echo my thoughts of Americans. The side of our nation that gorges and gropes for everything that is easy and filling. The part of our country that imbibes without tasting, swallows without savoring. That section that is undaunted by how disgusting the action might be, or what refuse is created in the whirlwind of self gratification.
Is this why I have to keep reading? Because Misha and Ignatius are part of my home?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment