Tuesday, May 09, 2006

the list keeps growing

This post made me want to share my own list of possible summer reading, especially since two of the three were already on my list as well.

-The Idiot
-Absurdistan
-American Gods
-Politics Lost: How American Democracy Was Trivialized By
People Who Think You're Stupid
-Infinite Jest
-Brideshead Revisited
-Don Quixote
-*Bug
-*Bloody Sunday : Scenes from the Saville Inquiry
-*Shaplin: Three Plays
-*Crumbs from the Table of Joy and Other Plays


* Plays

These are books that I feel I should reread, because I read them back in high school and that was a while ago.

-On the Road
-Tropic of Cancer
-War & Peace
-The Brothers Karamazov


If anyone has any of the plays or the newer books and feels like lending them to me I would greatly appreciate it. I would also love to hear from anyone who has read any of the above and wants to spout.

4 comments:

dup said...

I started THE IDIOT this winter and I was loving it up but had to put it down because my Milton class hijacked my free time. I plan to return to it this summer however as it was as gorgeous and alive as the other Dostovesky I've read with the added bonus of being hilarious. (The Richard Pevear, and Larissa Volokhonsky translations are the only way to go.)

ON THE ROAD is an old sentimental favorite, but one of those books that has a window I think in that if you read it past the age of 18 or so it might seem more than a little corny.

You should head on over to Jason Grote's blog where there is a passionate discussion over his Summer Reading choices which included several mentioned here including Brothers Karamozov, Don Quixote, and War and Peace.

http://jasongrote.blogspot.com/2006/05/pick-my-summer-reading.html

hpmelon said...

I wrote this after seeing that he and I had a few in common, although I have had my fill of the Roman Empire and its fall. I tried to link to Grote's post above, but it keeps crapping out.

Thanks for the tip on translations...will definately look for them.

SAS said...

We should start a book club. I know we can barely manage to find time to drink a beer together let alone discuss literature, but in the pipe dream in my head we would start a book club like people with normal lives do.

hpmelon said...

I would totally do it...totally.