Thursday, November 17, 2005

veni, vidi, on sunday

I was just perusing a newish blog, and he makes reference to HBO's Rome. I loooooove this show. I get obsessed with different periods in history on a regular basis and then will swallow every tidbit I can about them for a while before I move on. For example, I have always been fascinated by the move westward and the Oregon trail. I went through a period of Henry VIII mania, and recently dove back into ancient Egypt and Rome (which I was crazy about years ago). So the fact that this show came along when it did was sweet serendipity for me. I pity anyone who has to sit next to me during an episode, because I am constantly spouting historical data that I am incapable of holding in. Boring, boring shit like how the grain supplies in Egypt were a necessity in Rome and how the Nile and its water level was watched diligently in order to estimate grain production and rationing. Even more boring, how it was said that Octavian (Julius Caesar's nephew) wore sandals with high heels to appear taller and older, how Caesar's seizures (say that three times fast) got worse as he got older. See , I cannot stop myself even now. I love these details, but amazingly others are not riveted like I am.

Rome's last episode for the season is on Sunday and I am so excited. My only issue with the show is that it moved so quickly through history. It glossed over years that I felt were chock full of really interesting stuff. Not like the boring grain stuff, but stuff like Caesar's relationship with Cleopatra, and Octavian's youth, and the struggles of Caesar and Pompeii prior to the wars in Gaul. But it is still really good. The thing I love about HBO is that all the really good stuff airs on Sunday night. Is there any better time for a theatre person? I can still do a matinee or afternoon rehearsal and be back in time for Sunday night excellence. Some of you who know me think that I watch no television except for The Daily Show, but you see I have my TV vice as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So what was the grain count for 208AD and what style of high heel did whatshisname really wear? I am more interested in the mundane facts such as whether or not gladiators wear underwear underneath their plated skirts.

next time I will give commentary on Law and Order.