Tuesday, November 29, 2005

algebra

In the 8th grade I got caught cheating. My friend and I had worked out this system of switching off who did the homework each night and then copying each others work the next day at lunch. It worked great until the day that we were so engrossed in our conversation that we did not realize that we had put each others homework in our binders. I had class before her and the teacher saw her math work in my binder and ooooooh the sting of that moment still smarts today. I can still remember with complete clarity the hollow vacuum that was created in my chest as I was sent to the office, confronted by the principle and then later, my parents. To some, this cheating may not seem like a big deal, but it was huge to me. It had never occurred to me how much disgrace I could feel from petty and deceitful actions. I took the rap for both of us and said that I had taken her homework without her knowledge, and even warned her prior to her class to hide my paper so she would not get caught too. I was a good friend.

In retrospect, maybe I wasn't. Maybe she should have felt that jack hammer of guilt come down.

Some people really needed that moment of realization while growing up. This will sound awful, but I am glad he cried. He may have cried only because he got caught, but the shame he must feel brought on tears that will not be easily forgotten. The lesson learned too late.

No comments: