Sunday, October 02, 2005

that is some knot

I was encouraged by this article in the Post today. Political theatre in America happens with much more frequency then in some other countries. Especially when the countries are dealing with major conflicts or crises. Israel has had an off again on again relationship with political theatre for some time. The conflict between Israelis and Palestinians is so divisive and emotions are so strong on the subject that theatre tends to shy away from the struggle or adopt a very one sided view of it. It is not hard to see why.

I have a lot of Israeli family. They are very patriotic, and passionate in their support in the State of Israel. In talking with my mother, who is an artist and a liberal, you would quickly find that she takes an exceptionally hard line of thinking when it comes to Palestinians, and there is no room for debate, she refuses to even hear the argument. Now mind you, this is not a Muslim thing, she has many Muslim, Christian, Jewish, etc. friends, but Palestinians are another matter. In her view, they are simply wrong.

I have longed believed that the theatre and the arts are a springboard for promoting social awareness and change. I hail the group putting up Tangle in Beersheba (I know several people living there, and hope they go see it). I feel their collective quickened heartbeat, apprehension, and fear about bringing the debate to people like my mother, to soldiers they served with, to those who lived through the Holocaust, to those who never experienced a checkpoint, to those who have lost someone in this conflict, to those being brought up to know their world in this light.

I rarely experience any stage fright anymore, a rush of energy, yes, but no worry. But I can imagine, that I would if I were in this troupes place.

No comments: