Thursday, May 10, 2007

fender offense

On the way home yesterday a car's ass spoke about religion to me.

"You can't be Catholic and pro-abortion."

I have never, ever, in my whole live long life, met or heard of anyone who was pro-abortion.

Nope, not one person who thought - 'You know what's a good idea? Aborting fetuses, that's what.'

3 comments:

parabasis said...

I'll take the bait...

I'm pro abortion. there are plenty of cases where it's a good idea to have an abortion. The first three I can think of are when a women is raped and gets pregnant, when the pregnancy is the result of incest and when the health or mental wellbeing of the mother is put into jeopardy by the pregancy.

In all of those cases, it's a pretty great idea to get an abortion. And I can think of several others.

I just think sometimes with all this discussion about how agonizing a choice abortion is and how we know it's really bad and wrong etc. we cede the entire rhetorical ground to the other side of the issue. Getting an abortion is not always difficult and agonizing. I know two people for whom it was a fairly easy (if physically uncomfortable) decision that saved their lives.

Why do we have to say, essentially that abortionis bad but legally women should be allowed to do it anyway? Why can't we say that abortion is a necessary medical procedure that is important to women's health and independence?

hpmelon said...

Abortion being a good idea for a woman in a horrific situatiuon (any of which you named above)is not the same as being pro abortion. To state that you are pro abortion is like saying you are pro a medical procedure. Being pro a medical procedure is irrelevent without the need or choice to have it. Let's also not forget that there are women even under the circumstances above that choose to carry the baby to term.

There are many abortions done each year that are necessary to save the woman's life, but that does not mean any one is pro having one. A woman in that situation is pro - not being in that situation. Having to have an invasive medical procedure is not a pro, any way you put it. It is scary, painful and still stigmatized.

I also know people who have had abortions where the decision was easy, and not to save their lives in the physical sense, but in the metaphorical. Just as necessary.

None of them were pro having the abortion, they were pro - never having gotten pregnant.

The Dougressor said...

I have to agree with HPM on this. To my way of thinking "Pro-abortion" is a tricky little marketing term thought up by extremists. It is DESIGNED to distort the issue...to cultivate a culture of people motivated by guilt and the judgement of others. It is DESIGNED to serve as faith-based justification for removing the rights of human beings to be in charge of their own bodies.

I agree that chosing to have an abortion is not always painful and agonizing...and part of the reason for that...is that there is a CHOICE to be had. I imagine the situation becomes MUCH more agonizing when there is no choice, when the ONLY "choice" given to a woman is to have the child, no matter whether she became pregnant through rape, incest, or casual sex.

The term "pro-abortion", as it is designed, makes no execeptions for any circumstances, horrific or otherwise. So then, a woman who has become pregnant due to a unimaginable experience like rape or incest is then meant to feel GUILTY for not wanting the child? Is guilt another layer that needs to be added on to an already terrible situtation?

I'm all for expressing one's views, even when, and perhaps particularly when they are in opposition to my own....but wouldn't it be nice if more people practiced respect in expressing their views? Wouldn't it be nice if people felt such a sense of confidence in their own choices, so as not to feel a need to attempt to force their ethics, ideals, and beliefs on others? A world like THAT would be more than worth bringing a child into.