There is always this place of frustration for me in the rehearsal process; after choices have been made and major discoveries have happened, when you have to begin to let it flow. Lines cease to be words on a page and become your natural instinct. Right before I hit my stride I have the worst couple of rehearsals where everything feels clunky and I forget every memorized word and the arc of each scene does not seem to match what I had previously done. I have to remind myself that this will pass, but it always catches me off guard.
It also comes at a weird time in this particular rehearsal process, because I have to go to Chicago for the next few days and I am not prepared for the absence. I wanted to feel like my grasp on this show had gelled more before leaving. I have promised myself that I will read the show and mentally walk through it once a day until I get back.
I watch some actors and it seems so effortless for them during rehearsals. There are times like that for me as well, but I always hit a couple snags and have to take a step back to see the picture again before moving on. I am craving that moment when it all fits and the puzzle makes sense and then it just feels oh so wonderful to let the part crackle and spark out of me. I know some actors who love the rehearsal process for its discovery and, in fact say it is their favorite part of doing theatre. I do love finding a role, and exploring a script. I am always happy and willing to try something new, but I must say that I love it best when it all comes together and fits just right.
Until next week...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love when it all comes together too. And have to keep reminding myself that it is the bumps that we learn from.
Why are you in Chicago?
I'm helping to mold young minds, seeing friends and catching a couple shows.
Post a Comment