Friday, February 10, 2006

having pulitzer doubts

I am very late in the game on this one, so forgive my tardiness.

I finally, finally, finally read Doubt. It was the subject of discussion a ways back on BLOG!, but I just never ponied up and read the damn thing so I had no input. When I actually commenced reading it I tried really hard to not be biased and actually wanted to like it. Why I wanted to like it , I am not sure. Maybe to validate that the Pulitzer is not handed out haphazardly, maybe to just differ in opinion from Arctic Actor, or maybe just for shits and giggles. So my gut reaction after finishing it was...

ABC after school special,

Hallmark Channel original,

Good Touch Bad Touch, a made for T.V. movie.

I am very upset. This is what beat out Sarah Ruhl's The Clean House?

5 comments:

Freeman said...

It's better when you see Cherry Jones do it.

hpmelon said...

True, I never saw it. I keep trying to tell myself that plays are meant to be performed and so it may very well be that the impact of this show is in the performances brought by the actors, but after seeing The Clean House it is hard to imagine Doubt beating it out for the top award.

But I will give it to you, Cherry Jones is a wonderful actress.

SAS said...

I love, love, love Cherry Jones, and was still slightly disapointed with everything about DOUBT.

Adam Szymkowicz said...

I was slightly dissapointed also but I do think it's good and don't consider it a made for TV type thing. Partially because it is made to make you think--that is its intent I think. Do not know clean house yet but am excited for it.

hpmelon said...

But it did not make me think. The writing seemed too generic and the plot too 'ripped from the headlines'. It just seemd incredibly canned, the characters too flat. I wanted more.

I loved Clean House, as well as her newer Passion Play - Ruhl has got it going on.