Tuesday, May 20, 2008

clocks melting all over

I have been in that kind of busy that you look up and the days have catapulted away from you in some frenetic calendar malfunction.

And during it all Smallest got the stomach flu and got better, then I got the stomach flu and got better, then Smaller injured his collarbone, and is recovering, then I broke a tooth and have to be at the dentist later today for the requisite pain to my mouth and my wallet.

When waiting for Smaller to get x-rayed I skimmed some magazines. Evidently actresses are preggers a lot right now and all the rags call them baby bumps. It keeps saying 'sporting a baby bump' - like its a fashion choice. 'Bump' somehow minimizing the size of it. Bump - like speed bump. A) it feels a might bigger than a bump when you are carrying that sucker, and B) that 'bump' does anything but slow life down.

Moving on from the Hollywood world I picked up this magazine, which I honestly had no idea even existed and made me wonder what kind of establishment was currently studying my smaller's bones.

Garden and Gun says G&G is a southern lifestyle magazine that's all about the magic of the New South — the sporting culture, the food, the music, the art, the literature, the people, and the ideas. It espouses a strong conservation ethic that grows out of its connection to the land, and it reveals the beauty of the South as no magazine ever has.

Now this very well may be the greatest magazine on earth, but all I could see was that in the same magazine that you can send in questions to The Flower Doctor, you also can get a top ten gun pick. These are the moments where I look around and stop and wonder "How and when did I get here? Who are these tiny people who keep asking me questions? Who thought that the title Garden and Gun was anything but an SNL skit?"

Surreal couple weeks.

No comments: