Thursday, January 24, 2008

get that black hole a burger

Last week I wrote a post about waiting for a friend to die. Stage 4 cancer. 14 months of hanging on. She ended up dying two days ago. It was a relief. I went to her memorial yesterday after work and smallers, and before dialect coaching and seeing friends. I did not post what I had written. It was sentimental and the self editor in me took over. So like many posts, it sits in draft form in blogger as a kind of marker for me about what was going on with my life that was not fodder for web consumption.

What is it about sending our electronic words out into the cavernous digital void that leaves us feeling protected? It is so open and scary. I worry all the time about sharing too much. Do you? Cavernous digital void, do you worry about sharing too much? No you don't. You greedy, insatiable bastard. The bigger question is, why do so many feel the need to feed the void?

Anyone?

Anyone?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think because we want to connect with someone. Sure it's simplistic, but that's what I think.


-mess

hpmelon said...

But who? When I want to connect I look for the person I want to connect with. It just seems a risky way to search for that tie.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it's a matter of putting things out there and not caring who reads it or how they respond to it. A way to overcome insecurities. Sometimes it's a way releasing what's weighing you down. Sometimes it's a cry for attention.