Do some actors get trained out of their natural instincts? Do they get trained out of their edge? I ask myself these questions all the time. I not only think a proper education in theatre/acting is important, I also believe that one should never stop learning. I believe there is always an opportunity to better your craft.
So why is it that, with great regularity, I will see a show that has been able to cast from very well trained actors, but the show, while technically very good, has no passion. It remains, for lack of a better word, safe. The performances are all safe, and it is hard to find fault with them, except to say that there was no spark. The actors did not step to the edge. While I am watching these performances I am even thinking, 'these are good actors, they have all the tools'. So why aren't they using these tools to their utmost? Are they saving themselves from getting worn out for the next show? Do they feel they have made it and now it is unnecessary to work so hard? What is it that creates this antiseptic varnish over their work?
The show I saw this past weekend fit these descriptions. It was a fairly action packed show and no one seemed to even break a mild sweat. There is a distinct difference for me between brilliant acting that is effortless, and safe acting that has no effort put into it.
Stakes people. I have said it before. I want to see some stakes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment